Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Augur Day

Inauguration Day.  An 'historic' day, as we are being told over and over again by the talking heads of the media.  

I suspect that every day augurs well for the chance of new beginnings if we will but show up and take hold. That's a secret of life:  most of the battle is won just by showing up.

Likewise, every day is 'historic' insofar as it passes into history as it ends. . . .  which leads to another secret:  every day can be a new beginning - no need to drag along past days.  Let them pass.

I do not mean to take away from the special new beginnings of this Inauguration Day, 2009.  May it augur well for the United States of America.  May we truly be united: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Oh God:  how long has it been since I've said/prayed that?  Suddenly I see myself a small child, wearing saddle shoes, a maroon jumper, and a Buster Brown haircut.  Solemnly I place my hand over my heart and face the flag at the front of the classroom.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:  one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
I wonder what ever happened to the rest of that class?  Peter Bowie - he still comes to mind surprisingly often.  Where are you, Peter?  And Pete, with the Italian last name.  Irene Dunne, the little blonde minx I used to race to the toilet at recess (there was only one for us girls). . . .  All of us solemnly standing to face the flag.  I wonder what they're thinking this Inauguration Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment